Willett Distillery Tour Planner and Experience
This content is not intended for minors. By continuing to read this content, you agree that you are of legal drinking age in your local jurisdiction.
About the Willett Distillery Tour
- Location: Bardstown, KY
- Impression: A family run distillery experience with a first rate tasting experience and expanding campus.
- Website: Tour Information (Requires Age Verification)
- Cost: I paid $16 for the tour.
- Samples: They gave us the Willett's core product and then 2 samples you got to choose. I had the Noah's Mill and Rowan's Creek, both higher proof.
- Perks: I received a Glencairn glass with Willett's name on it.
Experiment: Doing Your Own Tasting Party
A couple years ago, when I was just dipping my toe in the waters with whisky, some friends suggested we do a tasting event at one of our houses. Each person was to bring three bottles, a top shelf, mid-shelf and bottom-shelf that we liked. Then, with 4 people, we had 12 bottles to sample. And even better, if we bought something and didn't quite like it, we could make a trade (for a guy that had fun as a kid trading baseball cards, this is like next level stuff). When I got home from this tour, I actually traded my Kentucky Pure for the Barton's 1792 Small Batch. To me, it was a good trade because I had Johnny Drum from Willetts and during the tasting, I didn't give 1792 enough of a lingering taste. It's a great experience. If you want to take it a step further, do some pairing experimentation with either foods or chocolates. Makes for a nice relaxing evening and you can chat about what you like and don't like in each. Just make sure to keep the pours to just a taste and take time in-between. It'll make it a lot more fun, and safe for those that may have to drive home afterwards.
- Probably my 3rd tour where I saw cats. I finally had to ask and they said it's because they are great mouse catchers (and apparently distillery cats are a world wide phenomenon). These kitties were soaking up the attention.
- Don't bring the Mercedes, unless it needs a bath. You'll be driving up a dirt road for this one.
- I had my Willetts tour at 3:00 PM and Heaven Hill at 4:30 PM and even though I made it, I felt rushed at Willetts and that was a lot of alcohol within a short period. I could barely keep down the Heaven Hill, it was coming so fast.